The Cortland Lions Club was organized in the first months of 1939, receiving our charter in April of that year. Our club was sponsored by the Youngstown Downtown Lions Club with 24 new members signing our original charter. Lion A. Ault was elected our first King Lion. We have been a weekly club since our inception, but have changed our meeting place four times. We met for a time at the school cafeteria, then moved to the old Isaly's Dairy store. From there in 1950 under King Lion Mahlon Eaton, we rented our own club rooms in the rear of Hurl's Pharmacy.
Lions numbered houses for door to door main delivery; first street fair in 1937. In the 60s and 70s, the Cortland Lions Club secured the land, gathered the financing and provided much labor to bring Cortview Village to fruition.
The Cortland Lions continue to be active in the community. Some of our highlights include:
Cortland Lions Club Street Fair
Cortland Lions Car Show
Football Fridays at Lakeview High School
Veterans Truck and Jeep Show
Charter for Cub Scout Pack 4050
Howland 4th of July Parade
Wings & Wheels
Cortland EATS Food Truck events
With one head of the Lion's emblem proudly looking to our past, the other looking to the future, confident and optimistic that the Cortland Lions Club will continue to be a leader in the community for many years to come.